28 April 2014

Spanish Foibles

In my Camino PowerPoint presentation that I presented to St. Basils in October 2012 and it St. Nicholas earlier this month, I noted some Spanish quirkiness.
In particular:
...That the air-vents in Spanish taxis don't seem to work (or there is some reluctance by the driver to breathe)
...That Spanish bathrooms don't have air-vents or exhaust fans.

Well, the three taxi rides that we have had - two in Madrid and one in Astorga have rung consistently true, with me gasping for air after a few hundred metres and needing to wind the window down...my wife says I am like a dog with open windows in a car ;-)
As for the lack of ventilation in bathrooms, I was proved wrong two nights ago, with the bathroom in Acebo having a small vent to an outside wall. Tonight we are staying in a relatively new place, perhaps only a couple of years old and the bathroom has neither a vent or exhaust fan....it does have a window....which is not normal in hotels and a bonus here!
Don't get me wrong, I love Spain, there customs, their food and the people, but there are a few amusing things of note.

Tomorrow is perhaps the toughest day walking yet - only 13km, with the first 7km pretty-much on the level, but the last 6km, we climb about 760m. That is a 130m climb per km or in other terms almost 1m climb every 7.8m distance - I think those maths are roughly correct. I'm not sure how that compares to Kokoda, but I'm sure Compass will let me know in the morning.
I'll give you an update tomorrow, WIFI access assumed here, off to sleep now, buenas noches....(TL).

1 comment:

  1. Well guys it certainly looks like you are enjoying the journey
    We are following you daily
    It makes me feel that I really should be with you however my stand in looks like he is enjoying it and its great to see him pop up every now and then
    It looks very cold so we are glad to see you are keeping up your strength will copious amounts of fluid intake
    Under the knife again on the 7th unfortunately So following you will give me something to look forward to and keep me off the streets which I have been told in no uncertain terms to do !!!
    That picture of the elephant trunk reminds me of something Cant think of what !!!!!
    The model flying field photo was great Thanks for that
    Compass looks like he is on track and good he is maintaining a decent pace to keep you guys on the ball
    Once again we are glad you are enjoying it and the scenery looks great
    The track looks a little rough in spots so tough going no doubt
    We will continue to follow you and thinking of you daily
    I still think I should be there to keep you all in line so stay safe and enjoy
    Cheers
    Kluster Plus and Pene

    ReplyDelete